Document Type : Original Article
Department of Educational Psychology, Alzahra University, Tehran, Iran
This article aimed to study the effect of social problem solving skills training on the educational resilience of children in labour. The statistical population of the study included all the girls in labour, aged 12 to 18 years old, who were supported by the educational charity centres and associations in Tehran in the academic year of 2018-2019. The sample body consisted of 30 individuals from the population, who scored the lowest grades in the educational resilience questionnaire. They were randomly assigned to two experimental and control groups. To measure the educational resilience, the educational resilience questionnaire (Samuels, 2004) was used. The study was of quasi-experimental nature with pre-test, post-test and the control group. The experimental group was trained for 8 sessions to learn the social problem solving based on Dizurilla’s and Goldfried model. Post-test was conducted for both groups. To examine the effect of problem solving training on the educational resilience, the Multivariate Covariance Analysis was performed. The results showed that the social problem solving training affects the learners’ problem-based bias and providence.
- Arian, J. (2017). A study of the effect of social problem-solving training and critical thinking skill on self-efficacy of 6th-grade boy students in Iranshahr city. Master’s dissertation, Payam-e Noor University.
- Asadi Dastjerdi, P. (2013). Investigating the effect of problem solving skills training on anger reduction, increasing problem-solving ability and increasing the compatibility of girls dwelling in welfare centres. Master’s dissertation, University of Science and culture.
- Aarabiyan, A. (2015). Resilience. Quarterly of Information, Education, and Research, 10(37), 32-36.
- Turk Laddani, F., Malikpour, M., & Golparvar, M. (2008). The effect of life skills training on mothers on reducing behavioural problems in third to fifth elementary school students. Journal of Knowledge and Research in Applied Psychology, 37, 65-85.
- Jabari Mohammad Abadi, M. (2011). Study of the effect of problem solving skills training on the resilience of high school students in Khuzestan in the academic year of 2009-2010.Master’s Thesis, Allameh Tabatabaee University.
- Hosseini, S.H. (2005). The situation of children in labour and street children in Iran. Journal Of Social Welfare, 19. University Of Social Welfare And Rehabilitation Sciences.
- Selgi, M. (2016). Comparison of social problem solving and educational adaptability in depressed and non-depressed girls in high schools of Karaj.Master’s Thesis, Islamic Azad University, Ghods city University.
- Soltaninezhad, M., Asiyabi, M., Adhami, B., & Tawanaee Yousefian, S. (2013). A study of psychometric resilience indices. Quarterly Journal of Educational Measurement, 15(58), 18-34.
- Moghadam, S., Abadi, S., & Laee Susan, A. (2018). Effectiveness of problem solving skills training on creative self-efficacy of 5th grade elementary school students in Pul-e Zahab city. The first National conference on sustainable Development in the Humanities and Cultural Studies of Iran, Tehran, the international Centre for Conferences and seminars for the Sustainable Development of Human Sciences.
- Shahani, F., Ebrahimi, E., & Salariyan, Z. (2015). Effect of attachment styles and problem-solving skills on resilience among drug-dependents seeking quitting. The first scientific conference on psychology, education and community pathology.
- Shokoohi Yekta, M., & Parand, A. (2010). Teaching the problem-solving methods to mothers, and its impact on family relationships. Quarterly Journal of Family Research, 4(13), 6-15.
- Shokoohi Yekta, M., & Zamani, N. (2012). Application of interpersonal problem planning training in reducing problem-based behaviours of retarded students: Single Testee study. Psychological Methods and Models, 2(8), 55-71.
- Saleh, A. (2002). A comparative study of cognitive-behavioural and social cognitive characteristics of street children with Tehran’s boarding children. Social Injury Conference in Iran (Location Library of the university of social welfare and Rehabilitation).
- Sarrafi, Z., Taher Neshat Doost, H., Amiri, Sh., Molawi, H., & Akuchekian, Sh. (2009). The effectiveness of cognitive-behavioural therapy of obsessive-mothers on their children’s depression. Family Quarterly Journal, 20(5), 533-553.
- Taher Pour Jozami, N., & Fatahi Aghdam, G. (2016). Comparison of resilience of children in labour and normal children in Shahr-e Babak.World Conference on Psychology and Education, Law and social Sciences at the Beginning of the Third Millennium, Shiraz.
- Taher, M., Norouzi, A., & Taqizadeh Romi, F. (2014). The effectiveness of problem solving skills training on students’ anxiety test. Quarterly Journal of Child Psychological Development, 1 (1), 17-26.
- Ashouri, J., & Safarian, M.R. (2014). Comparison of the effects of classical teaching methods, problem-solving and traditional methods on academic achievement of mathematical lessons. Quarterly journal of Education and Evaluation, 7 (26), 80-93.
- Atadokht, A., Norouzi, H., & Ghaffari, A. (2013). Effect of social problem solving training on promoting psychological well-being and resilience of children with learning disabilities. Journal of Research in Learning Disabilities, 3(2), 92-108.
- Emadi, Z., Yazdkhasti, F., & Mehrabi, H.A. (2015). The effectiveness of group narrative therapy on parental adjustment, resilience, and emotional-behavioral problems of divorce girls in elementary schools in Isfahan. Journal of Cognitive Psychology and Psychotherapy of Knowledge, 2(3).
- Mohammadi, N. (2002). Investigating the therapeutically effectiveness of social welfare training on normal disorders in teenagers. Master’s Thesis, Tarbiat Modarres University.
- Moarefzadeh, A., Bigdeli, Z., & Nemati, Sh., (2010). Reviewing the views of public library officials in Khuzestan province on providing information services to street children. Journal of Library Science and Information Science, 16 (5), 29-48.
- Hashemi, Z., & Jokar, B. (2014). Predication of academic and emotional resilience based on psychological, family, and social factors: Comparison of prognostic profile of emotional and educational resilience. Journal of Research in psychological studies, Faculty of Educational Sciences and Psychology, 1 (4).
- Hashemi, Z. (2010). Educational and emotional resilience model. Ph.D. Dissertation, Shiraz University.
- Yousefi Kurehchi, N., & Tasouj, P. (2017). Educational resilience.Tehran: Growth of culture.
- Apple, P.W., & Kaestner, E. (1979). Interpersonal and emotional problem solving among narcotic drug abusers. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 47.
- Barker, S. (2002). A prospective: Longitudinal investigation of social problem-solving appraisals on adjustment to university, stress, health, and academic motivation and performance.Department of Psychology, 35(1), 658-663.
- Dizurilla, T., & Sheedy, T.C. (1992). The relation between social problem solving ability and subsequent level of academic competence in college student. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 16, 89-599.
- Fraser, M., Galinsky, J., Smokwski, P., Day, S., Terzian, A., Rose, A., & Guo, S. (2005). Social information-processing skills training to promote social competence and prevent aggressive behaviour in the third grades. Counselling and Clinical Psychology, 73(6), 1045-1055.
- Grant, S., Elliot, R., Giger, N., & Bartoluci, A., (2001). Social problem solving abilities, social support, and adjustment among family caregivers individuals with a stroke. Journal of Rehabilitation Psychology, 46(1), 44-57.
- Intagliata, J.C. (1978). Increasing the interpersonal problem solving skills of an alcoholic population. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 67.
- Kilmister, H. (2015). What an interruption in study can reveal about learner motivation and resilience. JPD, 5(3), 65-71.
- Platt, J.J., Scura, W.C., & Hannon, J.R. (1973). Problem solving thinking of youthful incarcerated heroin addicts. Journal of Community Psychology, 94, 245-251.
- Salami, S.O., & Aremu, A.O. (2006). Relationship between problem solving ability and study behaviour among school-going adolescents in south-western Nigeria. Electronic Journal of Research in Educational Psychology, 4 (1), 54-139.
- Sinay, E. (2009). Academic resilience: Students beating the odds. Research Today, 5(1), 394-416.